SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
subpar1

2001 Lawn Boy 10323 bought on ebay

subpar1
16 years ago

Hi, I am new here and somewhat mechanical though NOT a mechanic but got plenty of tools. I saw a model year 2001 10323 on ebay 20 miles from my house advertised as not running at all and bought it for $29 and drove 40 plus miles round trip to get it. Well he is right, it will not run at all. Let me start by saying I have read EVERY 10323 post on this forum I could find and it was REALLY helpful. I own a 1998 10313 (4 cycle tecumseh) that I bought as a "return" at Lowes and have had ZERO trouble out of it and really do not need a mower so I bought this one as a project. So far the base blade shaft has no play at all and no oil showing underneath (good right?). The deck seems straight/square with all wheels hitting the level ground (my concrete shed floor) on the same notches. The mower is used (the owner guessed 150 hours of use) but looks just fine and looks in good shape. so after just looking it over, draining the tank of fuel, taking the shrowd off, I checked for spark/fire. No spark/fire at all. I did the same thing on my 10313 and got fire so I know how to do that :-). So is it the coil/ignition module since I have read that on this forum so much? The other thing is to check compression right? I have no guage, my local Advance Auto parts does not have one to lend. And they cost more than I want to spend to buy one for one use. But when cranking it with the plug in, it SEEMS to have compression BUT my 10313 tecumseh seems to pull harder and thus I am figuring has more compression????...I have no idea how they would compare, 2 cycle to 4 cycle..the 10313 starts first pull (I do my own yearly "tune up"). So any advice on how to proceed? I do not want to throw away money on it. The idea was to buy it cheap, get it running and either use it, lend it to my sister (her lawn boy I bought for her is leaking at the bottom seal but still going). Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!

Comments (26)