SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
fourstringdrums

Spot/Patch Seed or overseed completely?

fourstringdrums
15 years ago

Like a lot of you I got killed with snow mold this year. Luckily a lot of filled back in, and there was one spot where I half @$$edly raked the area and threw down some seed in April and to my surprise, it came up. It was pretty patchy and spotty up until about 2 weeks ago, but now I forget there was even damage.

Now the only spots I have left that need some work are small patches that are 4"-7" on average throughout various spots. One area is a little larger, but that has significantly gotten better. I also have two areas that are a little thinner. One under the tree in our yard and one area that I had fixed last fall.

I was considering cutting short and overseeding, but I don't have a bagger right now, and that's $400 I don't really want to spend at the moment. I have a sweeper, but that makes for a lot more work in regard to clipping cleanup and I only use it in the spring. So because of being cheap and lazy and knowing that my lawn really does look good and these are just a few picky spots, I'm considering just patch or spot seeding.

Is this worth it when you factor in fixing thin spots as well or should I just overseed completely anyway? If I do seed individual areas, how do I handle caring for and having to drive over these areas? It wouldn't make sense to cut the whole lawn or even one section short for a small 6" bare patch here and there.

Do I just do what I can and hope for the best? Last year I had the lawn overseeded professionally and I still had to mow within a week, which meant I was driving all over, but the grass still came up, albeit maybe a bit slower.

Comments (3)

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor