SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
denninmi

Oh No -- it's Dioecious!!!! And, I only bought ONE.

denninmi
14 years ago

Don't you just hate when that happens? Oh, I hate when that happens!

Two interesting if somewhat obscure plants with potential edible use that I am trying, White Fringe Tree (Chionanthus virginianus) and Spicebush (Lindera benzoin) are both dioecious.

Seems I only have one of each. What a bummer.

I have had a spicebush for many years. I've never gotten berries (said to taste like allspice) from it. Reading about it earlier this year, I found it it requires both a male and female plant, so I plan on buying some seedlings (probably like 5) next year, so that I end up with some of each.

Wednesday, I went to a local garden center on my lunch hour to check out the end-of-season "bargains" on clearance. Now, this place is "upscale" (in other words, pretty expensive, but nice stuff). But, they had something I've been looking for, a White Fringetree, on "clearance" for 75% off, which means it was STILL $62.50, as the regular price was $250. But, it was a very nice looking, large, well shaped and well branched six footer. So, I bought it.

With hopes of getting some of those interesting, blue drupes that it is said can be processed and pickled into a product similar to black olives, something which was done in the past in Appalachia.

However, in reading about this one on the Internet, it too is dioecious, so I guess I'll have to look for some cheaper, smaller seedlings of that one too, to make a little grove, next year. Ebay, perhaps.

Bummer.

Well, I still need a MALE seaberry, since I ordered one in 2008 from One Green World, and they were sold out, then reordered last year from Raintree, and they called to tell me their crop of the males was substandard and they wouldn't be shipping for spring 2009. So, add that to my list.

Both the male and female Che trees I planted this past spring grew nicely this year, despite the cold summer. I hope they make this winter, pretty marginal in my zone, but I'm experimenting.

Anybody else found out the hard way, after the fact, that they were lacking one half of a pair needed for pollination?

Comments (7)