SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
axoplasm

Advice for Severe Pruning (Apple / Plum)

axoplasm
13 years ago

This past summer, I moved into a house that has about a dozen fruit trees in the yard. It's obvious that they've all been neglected for years. Many were planted 10 feet apart but are now 20 feet high, so you can imagine how fiercely their branches invade the space of proximal trees. It seems every tree (except the plums) are producing loads of fruit, although 90% of the fruit is either infected or too high to reach without a bucket-truck.

I'm a newbie in tree-care, and I'm researching pruning methods to prepare for this winter. So far, what I've read about pruning presumes that the trees have been somewhat attended in recent years.

Can I cut a central leader if the diameter is 5 inches, without devastating the tree? I imagine these trees in the size and shape that I'd like them to be, which is quite disproportionate to what I imagine their root system must look like. Is it hopeless for these trees?

Does anyone have any experience, guidance, advice or reading referrals for severe pruning methods?

Comments (3)