SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
odyssc2

New Home Owner: Mature Apple & Plum Tree advice

odys
10 years ago

Hey all,

I am a new home owner and acquired some pretty nice and healthy looking Apple and Plum trees.

(I will send some pictures tonight if not then ASAP.)

The trees are mature trees, looking healthy too, but the owner moved out this last year and did not prune them this spring. According to a neighbor, he believes it was definitely done last February of 2013 but nothing in 2014.

I have done some reading and was seeing info that I should prune after the last frost date but also seeing plenty about pruning early spring without a specific month clarified. Since these trees have been pruned for years apparently every February, should I be considering pruning this year being already mid-April?

The blossoms have come and have been pollinated, so do I just thin this year and not go crazy pruning back to the old growth like it looks like has been done in the previous years?

Does anyone have a good resource for pruning mature trees? I keep finding stuff very specific about training and pruning young trees in their early years, but then simply say that continued pruning is advised for mature trees.

Comments (3)