SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
soccer_dad

Fall Overseeding

soccer_dad
15 years ago

IÂm trying to decide on the best time to seed this fall. Last year I waited until mid-September because of drought and heat. WeÂve had above average rains this year.

The National Weather Service Climate Prediction for my area indicates above average temperatures and average precipitation through October.

I initially was planning a mid-August overseeding because I was adding some KBG to my tall fescue and wanted as long a period as possible before the leaves fell and I was mulching (lawn tractor) to avoid seedling impact. IÂm also hoping to get a head start on any poa annua germination and hope the new grass will outcompete it or at least allow multiple cuttings before applying a fall pre-emergent. I had a severe problem with poa this last Spring. Now IÂm a little concerned that cooler weather for optimal growth wonÂt start until late Sep.

As long as I can water is this really a concern? All else being equal should I wait? IÂm leaning towards an early seeding period this fall, if nothing else as a trial. Any advice is welcome.

Comments (5)