SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
fercho_gw

How low should I cut my Zoysia?

fercho
15 years ago

Greetings,

I live in the Atlanta Metro Area and installed Zoysia in my yard 2 yrs ago from scratch. I leveled and preped the area approriately and went with rolls of Sod. The product looked great when applied and by the end of the first year thanks to proper irrigation and fertilzation the yard looked great and the sod seams had disapeared. Here is where my mistake happened. I hired a service that cut my lawn for an affordable price but were very sloppy with picking up the clippings, they also did not have a reel mower but used a riding rotary mower which left debries in it's path and also cut the grass too high 3"-3.5". As a result the grass has now some small holes or deadspots and does not look very even. It also looks overgrown a day after it's cut. I have bitten the bullet and gone out and purchased a powered reel mower. I asked my lawn guys to cut the grass as low as he could with the rotary mower and I then went to town with my reel mower. However, I was quite shocked. The mower worked seemlesly and very effective at triming it down to 1.25" but the grass was all brown. I only did one pass and then I stopped. Of course the neighborhood debate ensued. Some were telling me not to worry that this was natural because sun was not hitting the grass that low and that it would recover it's green in a week. Others were saying the opposite, that I've cut too low and effectively killed the grass by just leaving the brown stubble. I need your professional advise ASAP. Should I press on and not worry or am I on the path to disaster?

Thank you kindly,

Comment (1)

Sponsored
A.I.S. Renovations Ltd.
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars15 Reviews
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County