SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
california_walter

Grass Selection For Family Backyard near LAX

Hey all,

So I've been growing ~2,000 sq ft of Marathon II from seed last year in my back yard, and it isn't keeping up with the foot traffic from my three little kids (7, 6, and 2).

It's pretty sandy soil round here, but I think I prepared the site well. Last spring I killed and removed the old lawn, tilled in compost and gypsum (to manage compaction), planted Marathon II seed with a cover of fines, and carefully tapered off the water with a new sprinkler system I installed. I had the soil tested before bringing in the compost, and the only thing it was short on was nitrogen - since then I have been fertilizing ~ 3 times a year.

Last year I was watering deeply ~1 time a week but things weren't going that well. After looking at Marathon's recommendations, I increased the frequency to once every two days over the last couple months, with a total of ~ 1 in/wk (as measured by tin cans). I think it helps, but not enough.

The town I live in is El Segundo, which is a coastal town right next to LAX. The climate is really moderate for LA as it's only a mile from the water - most days are in the 70's or 80's through summer; it's typically in Region III on the Winkler Scale (I'm a grape grower).

Well, anyhow. Most of the grass has been pretty dormant from last year (still), to the point it hasn't been clipped at all this year. The more heavily tracked stuff pretty much died off, so I reseeded a few hundred square feet of the worst part a couple months back (aerated, seeded, covered, starter fertilizer, watered, etc). Now that area looks better than the rest (foreground of photo), but it's already slowing down its growth, and showing signs of wear from the kids. I try to mow high (~2.5"), but it doesn't make much difference when the grass doesn't reach the mower.

Any thought on a better type of grass to grow? The Marathon II is designed to be slow growing, and it doesn't repair itself well from traffic wear (or so it would seem). I'm not averse to killing the whole lot, but my wife and kids probably are, so I would rather over-seed. Pretty much anything should be able to outgrow the Marathon II - the weeds certainly don't have a problem.

Note - I don't mind mowing every week if I have a more productive grass. I'm not afraid of a bit of hard work (I personally did all the work above, which is something pretty unusual around LA it seems). I can keep the kids off it for a month or two until the new grass gets established.

Also, in addition to a seed selection, any thoughts on the best time to re-seed?

Thanks for your help!

Walter

Comments (3)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting