SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
studly_gw

Help with Creeping Red Fescue

studly
15 years ago

Last fall I tried to convert our thin, patchy, draught-damaged KBG lawn to something that is more draught tolerant.

After researching everything, I ordered some Wendy Jean Creeping Red Fescue (was the only thing I could find that was reasonably priced and that rec'd good marks on the NTEP tests)and overseeded last fall with that.

This year I haven't fertilized at all (they say the fine fescue shouldn't be fertilized because then the existing KBG patches of grass might out compete the CRF grass, and the grass would require more water). The lawn hasn't done much, and the creeping red is slowly starting to spread, but very, very slowly.

Also, now that we're experiencing warm temps in the 80s and haven't had rain for a week, already the CRF grass is turning yellow before the KBG grass. I thought everything I read said the CRF grass would be more drought tolerant than KBG grass!

I'm guessing it's not established enough and I'm being too impatient. Do I need to keep it well watered all year long until it's more mature? Will it eventually be more draught tolerant?

Any advice you may have on how to get a CRF lawn so it's more drought tolerant and spreads more, when mixed with existing KBG grass, would be greatly appreciated!

Comments (12)