SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
chris_chico

Squirrel elimination

chris_chico
15 years ago

After reading the loong post here http://forums2.gardenweb.com/forums/load/fruit/msg081636542006.html

I wanted to share my "Tools" for squirrel elimination.

My fruit trees are not producing yet so that is not my issue. The raiding of $15-20 worth of bird food per week is my problem for NOW.

I bought one of these pellet guns which are awesome, about $150+ with a scope. I am a prior USMC Scout Sniper and I must admit for the $ these are very accurate and easy to use airguns!

http://www.gamousa.com/

{{gwi:125309}}

I solved two problems with one solution. We have a pet Black Throat monitor who was getting quite large and therefore eating $10 of rats per week. Why buy what I can provide?

{{gwi:125310}}

My teenage son had his friend over and asked if they could shoot a squirell. Since I do not believe in waste I told them no, the monitor had just eaten. If they wanted to kill an animal they needed to put it to use by eating what they kill.

{{gwi:125311}}

It was quite tasty actually!

I am as GREEN as the next guy and believe you can have your squirrel and eat it too! LOL...

Honestly, I tried everying before I started picking them off and I mean EVERYTHING! Nothing worked since they always figured a way to get thru my defenses, but after a few weeks of feeding Hannibal the Lizard I had a "controlled" problem and it stayed that way for a couple years. As I eliminated one a new one would move in just in time for Hannibal's next meal. My son got to get his marksmanship practice in and there was peace. Unfortunately, I lost the monitor to an infection and have not replaced it. 6 months later I once again have a problem and no solution. I am a avid chile pepper grower and have even tried concocting a "squirrel pepper dust" to deter them from the seed, but they eat it although it is evidently burning their mouths due to the constant rubbing of their faces as they eat. It is hot since I can eat the hottest chiles available and this concoction made me burn. They are very stubborn and can not be taught to stay away!

So, buy a pellet gun and start feeding something. Make sure you check the gut for worms first ;-)

P.S. To add to the list of negative side effects of a squirrel population on your property is they are usually covered in fleas! I will kill 100's of squirrels if it means protecting my dogs from being infested by disease carrying fleas and not having to douse my yard with chemical pesticides. I went 3 years with no fleas and 3 large dogs outside 24/7 never using flea meds or yard sprays. Once the squirrel population got bad I had to start using Frontline due to a flea population that was growing which I was not happy about!

Comments (11)