SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
newhomeowner_2009

yellowing/dying grass

newhomeowner-2009
14 years ago

Hi there folks: this is my first post on this website, and am most happy to find it.

I am the new owner of a summer home, totally inexperienced with lawns. The house has several separate lawns, all with what appears to be fescue grass. I am situated in a wooded part of Sullivan County, NY, in the Catskills, where the summers tend to be a bit cool and where we get a lot of rain.

So, the lawns are basically OK, except for an apparent grub/mole problem that I have treated by spraying a product I bought at the store that contains a supposed repellent, as well as by spraying an insecticide. But last weekend a new problem arose.

There is an irregular area of dead/dying grass, about ten by thirty feet, that suddenly appeared. Part of it extends over the leach field of the cesspool, where the grass for obvious reasons tends to be pretty good, growing nice and thick.

This is not the area I treated with mole repellent or insecticide. It does not have the appearance of the grub/mole damage I had noticed earlier in the season, which was elsewhere in the lawn and is pretty much gone now.

Now, the affected area does coincide with the area where I left a couple of plastic tarps for a few hours to dry out -- they had been used to suppress weeds in the garden -- but they were just there for a few hours so I don't think that's the problem.

The appearance of the dead/dying grass does not appear to be the same as the representations I've seen for fungus problems like brown patch. I took a couple of blades of grass and saw that the yellowing is even at the top.

I'm in the city now and will be back at the house on Sunday. I'd appreciate some suggestions as to what steps I should take concerning this. Should I re-seed? Do nothing? Etc.

Thanks.

Comments (12)