SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lb8230

1972 LB 8230 gets a second lease on life by stroke of luck

lb8230
17 years ago

My 1972 LB 8230 was purchased new by my Dad, who within a few weeks, figured I was OK to mow the lawn without hurting anything or anyone. It's been mine since.

Middle of last summer, the engine started shaking a fair bit. I replaced the blade with a second blade that was freshly re-sharpened at a shop. No joy. Shaking unchanged.

I started collecting advice here (Thank you Walt) regarding lower crankcase bearing wearout, engine overhauls, the whole 9 yards. Got a small collection of parts off ebay.

At the end of last season, with the mower running and still shaking, took the mower to my usual shop for the rebuild..they looked it over, concurred the lower crankcase bearing was worn out...and then stated they did not want to deal with it...'not worth our time'. Sigh. Season over,,,deal with it some other time.

The new season started, and my 'spare' LB, a 'youngster' 1976 model (another ebay find) needed a replacement blade nut that I did not have ...Sunday...store was closed. grass getting really tall....Got out the 8230...and a hunch told me to try a brand new, never used or re-sharpened blade.

The 8230 ran fine. No shake at all.

35 years...and the 8230 cruises on, with all it's original engine parts unmolested.

Comments (2)