SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
iarnstein

2 3.5 Hp Briggs won't keep running

iarnstein
14 years ago

I have fixed tons of techumseh and briggs vertical shaft engines but I have two edgers, one a 'pro' and another a very nice McClane and both have 3.5 hp Briggs IC engines on them. The use the standard square paper air filter on down draft carbs. The carbs have a diaphram on the muffler side with a spring plunger and the tank suspended under each. Hopefully that tells you what you need to know to visualize the things.

Neither has run in a couple of years so I dumped out the foul old fuel (added it to my truck to recycle) and then proceeded to clean the carb diaphrams. After making sure the surfaces that the flap hits are clean (one was clean, other was foul) neither will run except by having starting goo sprayed in them. Run for a bit, die. Thing is when I removed the diaphram the 2nd time, there seems to be fuel in there. I even counted turns - removed the needle screws, sprayed cleaner in, and put them back as is. Both are at 1 turn as how I got them. I did clean the fuel pickups and when tank was removed, that 2ndary small tank has fuel in it, so I'd think fuel was circulating.

So whaddyer think? Is there some jet hole that is hard to see/get to that I missed? That'd b my guess, but I don't know where to look?

Thank you O River of Knowledge!

Comments (3)