SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bill_r_va

Update on B&S 6.0 HP 12H802, Still Won't Run

bill_r_va
18 years ago

I posted earlier on my Craftsman Model 917.377150 mower using a Briggs & Stratton 6.0 HP 12H802-2682-B1 engine. I got several responses with good advice, but nothing has worked so far.

To recap, the engine will start, run a few seconds, then die. If I keep pressing the primer bulb, it will keep running until I stop, then die within a few seconds.

I've done all the obvious things. The spark plug is good. The flywheel key has been replaced. I replaced the fuel filter and ignition wire. The air filter isn't clogged. The hole in the center of the primer bulb isn't clogged. The mower won't run even with the gas cap removed. The gas is fine.

I unscrewed the nut holding the carburetor float bowl and made sure the holes were clear. There was no obvious contamination in the carburetor. The gas flows freely when the float is down and stops when it is raised.

Is there anything else I can do, or should I just give up and take it to a repair shop? Would a carburetor rebuild be likely to help, given the symptoms? Any help would be appreciated.

Bill

Comments (16)