SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
baseballbob

Weak Palmetto St Augustine

baseballbob
14 years ago

Can anyone help please?

I have planted approx 9,000sq ft of Palmetto St Augustine. I live in East Tx (zone 9). I have varying elevations with sandy soil in some areas and dense clay in the lower areas. I planted the Palmetto 3 years ago. It grew great the first year. The second, it contracted a disease that damaged parts of it (the Extension Agent said it was too much Nitrogen accompanied by allot of rain). The disease affected about 20% of the yard. Last year, I fertilized with 15-5-10 and it made a comeback, although slowly. This year, the grass is responding and doing great (thick, green, lush) in some areas, but in some areas, it is thin, yellow, and doesn't grow tall (just weak runners). I suspected that my soil was bad in these areas (compacted as well as PH or nutrients lacking) I have never seen an earthworm in this yard). So I had a soil analysis done by Texas A&M. I'm not an expert by any means, so I'm not exactly sure where to start. The organic matter is only 1.6%. I know that should be higher, but not sure how to do that over 9,000ft of yard.

PH = 6.6 (good for this area is 6.2)

Conductivity = 94

Nitrate-N = 3 (very low)

Phosphorous = 10 (very low)

Potassium = 108 (Low)

Calcim = 479 (Good)

Magnesium = 87 (Good)

Sulfur = 13 (Good)

Sodium = 266 (Low)

Iron = 23.6 (High)

Zinc = .65 (Good to High)

Manganese = 18.5 (Very High)

Copper = .23 (Good)

Limestone requirement = 0.00lbs/1000sqft

Organic matter = 1.6%

Any help would be appreciated. I have a large investment in the yard and am trying to make it the best. I'm afraid if I don't make changes, the whole yard will suffer (my neighbors had the same setup as me and their yards have detoriated badly(they've given up)). I just want a healthy yard (I love working in it).

Help. Thks

Comments (3)