SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jdbrown1998_gw

New Home Orchard

jdbrown1998
9 years ago

Hello,
So I was looking for some advice and any suggestions on setting up my home orchard. I have a 1.2 acre lot that had a lot of low brush that I just had cleared and I am going to be putting in a 10 tree home orchard. The varieties of fruit that I am planning are:
2 McIntosh Apple (already there and about 5 foot tall) � they were there when I bought the house and I believe they are finishing their 2nd year in the ground.
The following trees are being bought from a local nursery and they are 5 gallon containers and 3 years old (about 5-8 foot tall)
2 Empire Apple Trees
1 Honey Crisp Tree
1 Red Delicious Tree
1 Black Tartarian Cherry Tree
1 Rainier Cherry Tree
1 Bartlett Pear Tree
1 Moonglow Pear Tree

All trees are on semi-dwarf root stock. I am pretty set on the varieties that I am planting (already ordered and coming) but I could add one or two if I needed to for pollination purposes (I checked and believe I am good on what I have chosen.)
What I could use advice on is:
1) Spraying cycle � specifically do I need to do anything this fall? Is there a good list of when and with what to spray for a yearly cycle?
2) How should I prepare the ground around the trees (weed control fabric/watering ring/etc.)?
3) What and how much fertilizer to use? I am going to have a soil test done by the RI master gardeners (who will test for pH for free) and then adjust it to ~6.75 for all of the trees. Is there any fertilizer for micro-nutrients that I need to be concerned with? I also heard to use anything but aluminum phosphate to adjust the pH.
4) Am I missing anything? Any other suggestions would be appreciated.
5) Almost forgot - how much water should I be providing for the trees if I put in a drip irrigation system? How many times a day?
-JD

This post was edited by jdbrown1998 on Tue, Oct 14, 14 at 13:15

Comments (30)