SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
john_in_sc

Selecting fruit trees for the Home, not the Pro Orchard

john_in_sc
14 years ago

There have been a bunch of postings on problems related to people trying to grow fruit trees in their yards.....

I hate to say it, but I really think "Home garden" fruit tree selection really needs to head in a different direction than the "Fruit Tree" programs in our Universities... which are ALL geared towards Growers/Orchards...

Most home owners really have no desire, inclination, or training to care for Fussy "Orchard" trees... Not to mention 300 lbs of Peaches or Apples on 1 well cultivated Orchard tree? Their kids are going to be throwing peaches in big peach fights... Wasps and bees everywhere eating rotten peaches on the ground... Disease problems, Etc...

They know nothing about Varieties or Rootstock or Black Spot or Fire Blight or Cuchillos or Borers...

I am coming to the conclusion that "Home Owner" Varieties should be selected for Home growing, just like Orchard Varieties are selected for Orchard growing...

1st and foremost, they need to handle massive quantities of Benign Neglect....

Most home owners would really do better with:

Immensely hardy/healthy plants.. Super disease and insect resistance should trump all else...

Sufficiently late blooming to get past late season frosts.

Plants that Stay Dormant well during Winter through warm/cold spells...

Low yields are Desirable -- 5-10 lbs of peaches/year per tree is probably preferable for most "Modern" Families growing fruit in their yard.

Must taste pretty good, size doesn't matter too much, but Color is very important. The home owner needs to easily determine when it is ripe...

This thinking leads you toward ancient "Land Race" varieties -- your semi-wild varieties... and AWAY from "New" Orchard varieties... which are *Extremely* fussy when it comes to care requirements...

So... What do you think?

Thanks

John

Comments (37)