SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
belle_phoebe

selection suggestions for home trees

belle_phoebe
12 years ago

We are working on renovating our backyard--almost 1 acre in the city. We are dealing with some terraced land, as well as a flat, sunny 1/4-acre space backed up by a creek and woods.

We plan to stay in this house forever, and so are looking to create a sustainable edible garden for our family of 4. While we don't have exhorbitant amounts of time to invest in plant care, we are experienced veggie gardeners and do expect a fair amount of maintenance (i.e. we know there will be pruning, spraying, etc). This is a multi-step, multi-year project, so we're in no great hurry. :-)

I've been searching the boards and also checking out my extension suggestions, but would value the opinions of those of you with lots of experience.

We'd like to put in 4-5 trees (each a different fruit) and would happily choose among sour and sweet cherries, apple, plum, peach and pear. We do have a walnut all the way to the side, which I know can be hard to get along with, but its canopy is largely in the neighbors' yard.

Primary goals are flavorful fruit and ease of picking. Pests and disease-resistant would be next. We do can and freeze produce each year.

Should I be looking at dwarf varieties? Reviews here seem mixed.

Can you recommend an easy-to-follow book?

Any varieties that I must have in this zone? And any fruit-specific nurseries near my area? Where do you get your trees from? The general landscaping nurseries (both open to the public and to the trade) around here don't have much in the way of choice.

If all of this exists already on the board, I apologize. I have been watching posts for a while, but maybe just haven't looked in the right spot. Please point me in the right direction.

Thanks!

Comments (12)

Sponsored
Dream Baths by Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Your Custom Bath Designers & Remodelers in Columbus I 10X Best Houzz