SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
alabamanicole

Selection of semi-tropical tree/bushSelection for protected area

alabamanicole
17 years ago

I have a large (~30x30') protected patio area in which I would like to place a decorative tree that produces an edible fruit or spice. Protection from the South and West is the house to a height of about 20', and there is a large screen in porch between the area and the house, so there may be some residual heat from the house but not a lot. From the North and East, there is a 8' wooden fence. Prevailing winds are from the south and west.

So this is an area where I could reasonably build some sort of frost protection that I could put up by myself and it won't be subjected to freezing winds. One limitation, however, is that the area does not receive much sun in the winter, and I also won't put in artificial heat.

Since it is close to the house, I would need to choose something without invasive and destructive roots.

I've ruled out date palms and advocado (too cold, even with protection) and the California pink peppercorn tree (Schinus molle), for being too big. My prime candidates right now are:

A bay laurel tree (Laurus nobilis) grown in a large container, put not moved indoors in the winter, or

A cold hardy olive like the arbequina variety.

Anyone have any comments on these two options, or have any other ideas? Quite frankly, I like the olive tree aesthetically, but I am not sure I will see a full 1 zone protection increase in this protected area.

Comments (9)

Sponsored