SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
concretenprimroses_gw

Bad news about ge silicone ii

concretenprimroses
14 years ago

Hi there,

Last weekend when I was cutting down dead stuff in the garden I noticed that 2 of my plate flowers looked a bit pitted around the seal to the pipe. So I gently gently tungged at them and the plate came righr off the elbow! I checked the third one in a different bed and it was ok. And I thought, ok zone 4 totally exposed in that bed, they had been out a little more than a year including all winter (as cold as -20F). I was actually a little pleased cuz I wanted to try gardencraze's spoon idea as altered by dcarch. Then I found the other one face down on the ground a couple days later. The big metal washer is still on the back of the plates but I think I used plumbers goop for that.

So anyway now I am questioning ge silicone ii for windows and doors for weight bearing metal in my zone. Tho I admit that was the weakest (smallest) connection) The glass bond is still very good.

I also think its possible that rust did it as there is some. Maybe using stainless steel spoons would be a good idea.

kathy

ps, I do think the spoons are great, and they will offer more coverage as well. Maybe I'll try one with plumbers good and one with ge ii. But I'll have to start writing things down that's clear,lol.

Comments (20)

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths