SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lb8230

LB D series starting and self prop drive problems

lb8230
16 years ago

Gentlemen!

Well, my 1972 LB8230 (D640, self propel) keeps reminding me that it's getting like me- needs more TLC and can't be expected to run indefinately without some work!

Starting problem: Once mower is warmed up, I have trouble restarting it after emptying the bag. Numerous pulls- nothing. Prime a couple times. Pull again several times, and it will eventually s l o w l y start. Tried various combinations of priming/no priming, with no luck yet. It used to start like a champ 1st or second pull.

Plug is new, properly gapped and torqued. Clean air filter. Gas tank and line is run dry at the end of every season. Gas is fresh. Seems to be OK once it is running, so I am not inclined to think the exhaust ports need cleaning.

What do you do to remove the carb bowl to clean it out (I have only hit the spring loaded plunger at the bottom- never took it apart). Any other ideas?

Second problem- what is involved in replacing the self propel drive axle sleeve bearing (part 678782)- those cup shaped teflon pieces that seems to hold the drive axle in place on both R and L sides? The one on the right side seems to have decayed and slid toward the center of the axle, and now the drive axle right side is bouncing around within the axle frame- lots of 'dancing' and vibration if I try to use the self propel. Do you need special tools to get these into the holes they insert into, or is it a simple press fit? I don't want to start taking the rear end apart, only to find I need tools I do not have.

Thanks guys!

Comments (8)