SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
david_pinell

Erosion on slope

David_Pinell
11 years ago

I've recently bought a new manufactured home on 1.5 acres. The whole yard (just about) is on a slight slope. The exact grade I'm not sure of. The problem is erosion is nearly everywhere in one form or another. Where it is the worst the soil is literally like sand. The rest of the soil is somewhat clay like. I've tried laying kentucky fescue rye grass several times. The first time I tried just laying the seed and pressing it slightly into the ground then covered it with lawn clippings and watered daily. Some grass grew but overall it didn't and I doubt much will survive with the type of soil/sand.

The second time I bought some soil specifically for seed/sod and layered it 1/4" over the sand and tried to seed the area. This time a storm came through and washed it all out. My wife thinks I should buy sod but its significantly more expensive and I am looking for the most economical route that will slowly give me a decent yard.

What is the best way to go about dealing with the erosion? Any advice would be appreciated. I am a first time home owner and basically know nothing about taking care of a yard.

Comments (5)

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths