SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
fastmov4

Troy-Bilt mower: Starts but won't run!

14 years ago

Hey all!

I posted here last year, and I got some great advice that helped me resolve my problem. So new year, new problem!

I've got a 2004 Troy-Bilt 21" push mower. I prime the engine per the operator instructions, pull the start cord 6-8 times, and hit the start handle. At best, the engine will start, run for about 3-4 seconds, and die.

The carburetor was cleaned last spring, and I also installed a new spark plug at the same time. I know the mower needs an oil change (oil is very black but not sludgy) but the engine is not low on oil. I have not checked the spark plug yet, but the spark plug wire cap is pretty clean. Also air filter is pretty clean.

It sounds to me like the engine is not getting any more fuel. It's burning what's been primed in, but that's it.

Also, this happened all of a sudden about 3 weeks ago. The mower had been runnning fine all morning. I did have to stop several times, turn the mower on its side, and clean wet grass clippings out from under the deck. But it finally just stopped running and started exhibiting the issues I listed at the top of the message. When I checked the air filter this weekend, probably the top 1/4 of the filter had oil on it (like oil leaked onto the filter when I put the mower on its side). Any suggestions on what to do? Thanks in advance!!

Chris

Comments (9)