SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jgsf_gw

Troy-Bilt RZT 42 wouldn't turn over. Then did, now won't.

15 years ago

I am very confused by my Troy-Bilt RZT 42 this year. The mower is three years old. When I went to start it this year, it wouldn't start. Just a tiny high pitched squeal when I turn the key, or silence. I bought a new battery and still nothing. Charged the battery. Nothing.

So we removed the starter and checked it. It's fine. Replaced the voltage regulator because our neighbor was sure that was the problem. Still nothing. New spark plug while we were at it. Also sprayed liquid wrench in the spark plug "hole" at neighbor's advice.

I inquired about getting it fixed at the local repair shop. They weren't terribly interested, but said to remove the spark plug and try to start it. He said that if it throws a bunch of gas out - it's because the gas got in the oil. Without the spark plug, it turned over, still nothing if I plugged it back in. We changed the oil and siphoned the gas - and replaced it with new. The mower worked, but was smokey! WE pushed it out of the garage and started it again. I cut two strips across the lawn with joy! There was a tiny bit of smoke, but appeared to be some oil sitting on the muffler, which I thought may have spilled during the oil change? I decided to turn off the mower to clean off the oil and try again (to make sure there wasn't oil leaking). Now the mower is doing the same thing it did at first, and won't turn over at all.

Does this make sense to anyone?

Thanks,

J

Comments (3)