SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hexabyte

Troy-Bilt 4-Cycle Trimmer Won't Cold Start But Runs Amazing

hexabyte
14 years ago

Hello all, I just joined the forum as I've been using this site extensively over the past few days trying to figure out the problem with my string trimmer and am totally at my wit's end with it.

Model: Troy-Bilt TB425CS Gas String Trimmer

Problem:

I recently pulled the trimmer back out of storage from the previous year to notice my fuels lines had disintegrated so I ordered OEM fuel lines including the fuel filter and installed them. Ever since, no matter what I do, I cannot get this thing to start without a lot of work and time. When I use the primer/purge bubble, I seem to catch a lot of air-bubbles in the fuel-lines. I have to spray cleaner into the carburetor to get it to even try, and every once in a while I will get lucky and it will continue to run just fine like it's brand new. When I get it to start up this way, It restarts first pull every time.

Solutions Tried:

1)Adjusted the idler so when it is started, it runs 100% smooth as can be.

2)Switched fuel lines between fuel entry/return.

3)Replaced the bubble for purging

4)Inspected exhaust & air-fins for blockages.

5)Temporarily took fuel filter off just to test starting.

6)Checked ignition switch connections.

7)Took carburetor apart to check for build-up, blockage.

8)Replaced spark-plug.

9)Tried purging, not purging, choking, half-choking, no-choke. (All combinations imaginable)

10)Put new gas in and checked oil.

11)Made sure there were no leaks in fuel lines.

12)Removed fuel lines from tank, purged air/gas out and reinstalled into tank.

Other Notes:

I just don't understand what could be going on. I should also note that the ignition switch used to work flawlessly, now has to be messed with (off, on, off, on) to get the unit to power off. When I use the cleaner to get this thing to initially start, it runs amazing which leads me to believe there isn't an engine or carb issue at least after it warms up well as it restarts like brand new. I also don't think it's an ignition issue/spark issue because carb cleaner will at least get it to try and start every time.

Any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Comments (6)