SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
uglylawn

Lawn Care Help

uglylawn
16 years ago

Hello,

I have read through the postings and didn't find the exact problem(s) with my lawn. I have KBG, I laid sod about 3 years ago, brought in 2-3" of topsoil. I water about every 3-5 days although the soil still is moist just below the surface my grass gets stressed easily. I laid sod down in the fall and then in the spring is where the uglylawn started. It rained more than usual in the spring when I first planted my lawn so I fertilized 2-3 times in a 2 month period. I think I applied at 1-1/2 times the recommended rate. I have tried fertilizing in the summer and following the Scotts lawn care program but my lawn still looks terrible. I have done some core areation 1 X two years ago and 2 X's in the last rolling year. 1/2 of my lawn is or looks dead, the other is green but the brown mixes with it and looks terrible. The roots are very shallow and my lawn gets stressed easily. In the spring when all the neighbors had not turned the sprinklers on, I had to because my lawn was getting grayish brown. I have tried to not water as much to encourage the roots to dig deep but it seems to kill my lawn. I run the sprinklers 4 times and break the intervals up so to soak the water into the clay. I would like to get the roots to dig in deep and to eliminate the heat stress and brown, 1/2 dead lawn. I was planning on power raking, areating and overseeding in Sept. to see if this helps. What is reccomended? Sorry about the long post and thanks for the help.

Comments (13)