SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bsmith717

What stabilizer is in your garage?

10 years ago

The reason I ask is because I'm planning to not buy another bottle of red stabil after my current bottle is gone. Really have only had one problem I think is related to that product though. Ill omit my 2 stroke stuff as the oil in that mix stabilizes that fuel.

The problem has been with my Honda mowers (past/present HRT216TDA/HRX217HXA). On the older Honda I religiously filled the gas tank after each mow (less air in the tank means less O2 for the ethanol to react with) and still had some surging issues. Now with the current one I do the same plus close the fuel shutoff and run the carb dry (atleast that's what's supposed to happen) at the finish of every cutting. Still, I get a bit of surging and I put a brand new carb on it last season (it was completely void of any fuel over the winter too).

I know Honda carbs have had poor reliability lately but given the efforts I employ to curb this its hard for me to single out the carb or the stabil.

I have always used Seafoam as a carb soak/fuel additive and recently found out it is also widely used as a stabilizer. I just want the best for my equipment/less hassle for me!

So what are you using and for how long?

Comments (9)