SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cjra_gw

Is this Crabgrass and do I need to get rid of it?

cjra
15 years ago

Picture at http://cheriseandfredo.blogspot.com/2008/05/is-this-weed-or-grass-we-want.html

Our yard was mostly weeds and dirt when we bought this house (and trash). We've finally started attempting some landscaping. There's a very shady spot in front where I planted some plugs of Texas Turf (wanted to be shade and drought tolerant), however being cheap I spaced them pretty far apart. The guy at the garden center said that would be alright, would just take more time to fill in. I'm ok with that.

He also said that though drought tolerant, needs frequent watering to get established. So that's what we've been doing. We're in S. Texas and it's hot (humidity varies, one week very, one week very dry, then back again).

Most of my plugs seem to be taking and very slowly making progress, but I've also got this grass popping up. At first I figured Hey, it's grass, I don't care. But now I'm wondering if it's a weed, and if it is, what makes it a weed? How does crabgrass look when it spreads? Why is it such a problem? Do I need to dig it all up? How do I prevent it from reappearing while I try to get my Texas Turf plugs to grow?

Other parts of our yard have St Augustine and Bermuda - partly because that's all that was there and what happened to come up w/o any watering/maintenance. And then the city put in sidewalks and planted both along the perimeter of our fence - I think they ran out of one so laid the other part way. As it is, though, it kind of flows with where each is on the inside of the lawn. There's a mixture of heavy shade and heavy sun in places. And the largest part is still all weeds.

Comments (21)