SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jester747

LB 10323 Surges when brake cable pulled. Fine when not.

jester747
11 years ago

Hi all,

Troubleshooting certain things on an 8-year old 10323 (see below) I've removed the safety wire from the brake to the ignition module which led me to believe the bale handle would be useless. Well, when the mower's running if I let go of the handle the mower runs perfectly. If I pull on the handle, it starts surging (surges while mowing or not, and while using the propel handle or not). Why is that??? Am I ok using it this way?

For some context:

It started surging a couple years ago and I rejetted the carb and turned into a whole new machine. This past year the ignition module conked out, replaced it and we were good again.

Well, diagnosing the ignition module I messed up the recoil unit by attempting to start so many times. So I've been starting her up with a drill. (Finally found a reasonably priced replacement on fleabay just today.) Anywho... when I got the new ignition module, the surging returned. I spaced it to a business card's width. I also have a filter and shut-off in line. I removed these to troubleshoot, but the issue is still there. By the way, the brake cable is shot (frayed, rusted, casing split at parts), I've just ordered a new one, but I'm still wondering what role does that thing play, and if I'm not unknowingly messing something else up by mowing this way.

Thanks in advance!

Comments (4)