SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
govenatorx

2 Lawnboy Duraforce Problems - Surging and Spark

govenatorx
13 years ago

I own a 2004 Lawn Boy Commercial self propelled mower, model 22261. I have used it at my house only and never commercially so it really hasn't had much wear, if any. My brother has an 2002 model 22261. I still have a 1990 Lawn Boy commercial too. She needs some tlc, but the engine never, ever has given me a problem. I have a few problems with my 22261 though. My brother's 22261 is running okay.

I found the solution to the first problem already but a sub-problem surfaced after I figured it the initial issue. Being a typical guy I didn't fully read the owner's manual until today. I remember seeing the "87 octane or greater" but never read the rest of the section on fuel which said not to use premium, in my case 93 octane. Therefore from the start in 2004 I used premium gas. Within a year the surging started and was intense. I got the mower repaired under warranty in 2005 and a new carb was installed. Win for me! I went back to 87 octane as I decided to go with the owner's manual minimum requirements. All was well until recently.

This season I saw an issue surface of the mower not cold starting. I attached a spark plug tester and more often than not the tester wouldn't light. As a result of the spark plug tester I determined the issue was spark and not fuel. I found the initial solution to the spark issue was to remove the top cover of the engine which contained the pull start cord. I would look at the mower with a perplexed look, realize that I had no idea what I was doing, and then reassemble it. Seeing my confusion, my girlfriend would walk outside with a beer for me, and then touch the mower. The mower then started. I cannot make this up. I did nothing to make it start. I just removed the top and reattached it. I think my girlfriend is magical. (there were times her magic didn't work though).

I got frustrated and brought the mower to the master service center that did the warranty work on the carb. After they charged me $85 to look at it, installed an in-line fuel filter, and attempt to duplicate the issue, they couldn't duplicate the issue as the machine started every single time. I was upset. I brought it home and it wouldn't start the next week. I even tried to bribe the mower by getting the new steel ball bearing commercial wheels for it. No luck.

I then thought the mower was having a fuel issue, even though the spark plug tester was not lighting (I was grasping for straws). I decided that a higher octane gas might be cleaner for the carb so I went back to 93 octane for only one tank full. I ran the mower once with no issues but since we haven't had any rain, I haven't used the mower in about 4 weeks so it sat with the 93 octane gas in the carb. (I do shut the fuel shut off with approximately 100 feet of mowing left to try to run the gas out of the carb before shutting down).

I started the mower today. It started on the first pull. But it started surging again. Why me?!?!?! After getting all upset, I read the owner's manual and found the issue with the premium gas, leading me to post my story. I like to tinker with things and am not afraid of a project so I will try to work on this myself. If I fail, anyone want a 22261 they can eat off of? Just kidding. I love this mower. After reading the story, here are my questions:

1. When I put 87 octane gas back in, will the mower stop surging or did I do irreparable damage to the carb?

a. If the damage is done, do I rebuild carb or buy a new fully assembled one?

i. If rebuild, does anyone know a parts list to rebuild so I don�t waste too much money on parts I don�t need (float, gasket, jets, pins, etc)?

ii. If brand new, anyone know the best place to get one or the part number (there is a new part number that replaced the old one)?

iii. Should I do the rejetting trick too?

2. Any ideas on the lack of spark issue? Is it a coil or the magnets? Or even a short somewhere else? Anyone else had this issue?

I appreciate you looking at my issues and look forward to your insights. I did some searches and was unable to find the answers. If I missed the answers, please feel free to post the links. Thanks!

Comments (11)