SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
harvestmann

bear nightmare

alan haigh
12 years ago

Always something, isn't it? I've got a bear in my neighborhood that I hoped was just passing through when I shot over his head about 6 weeks ago. No one sited it again for 3 weeks.

A week ago something came on to my porch and made a mess of some apples and pears I'd temporarily stored there. Thought it was a coon. I've trapped a couple since.

My Asian pears started disappearing big time but there wasn't even as much branch damage as I'd expect from raccoons. The animal wasn't behaving like a coon at all and last night it broke some crutches holding up branches so I suddenly (actually my wife suggested it) realized it might be bear.

I immediately called my next door neighbor and he said the bear had just destroyed one of his hives- he was very distraught and said the DEC was not going to do anything unless someone reports it breaking into their home.

My neighborhood is something in between country and suburbia with plenty of homes along the roads but often lots of distance between roads. It is also a NYC watershed area which means broad swaths of undeveloped land nearby.

This bear is a juvenile and the hope is that it will move on, but it's been almost 2 months since first siting. I remember passed threads on bear and the only reasonable deterrent I remember was ply wood boards with nails shot through them. Sure would hate to have to lug those things around to stop the bear from eating my late apples, but I guess I have no choice. Right? Electric is not an option here.

Comments (12)