SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dpurvis1984

Just how aggressive is Kentucky Blue Grass?

12 years ago

I have a project planned for my backyard this fall, but was hoping to get some advice before I invest lots of time and money into it.

The backyard is 5-7k square feet, mostly sandy soil, and houses a dual septic tank system and drain field. One of the tanks of the septic system is only covered by about 1/4" to 1/2" of sand/weed mixture. The yard is horribly bumpy and uneven so it needs some major leveling. This spring I did some minor leveling and put down some generic Kentucky Bluegrass seed in some of the bare patches.

To the project: This fall my plan is to bring in top soil and use it to "topdress" and also level out the low spots (which may kill much of the underlying grass). I have a drag implement for my lawn mower which will make the job easier. I plan to give the yard a butch cut and then spread the soil. After it is level, I plan to over seed with Kentucky Bluegrass. (Thinking Scotts bluegrass mix) In effect, I am hoping to sort of "replace" the existing lawn by covering it and replanting Kentucky Bluegrass.

The problem: Right now the yard isn't horrible, but has large patches of every kind of weed known to man (okay, not every kind) If I work the yard well pulling weeds for a couple of days before I go into the project, will the kentucky bluegrass be aggressive enough to eventually force the leftover weeds out of the yard? I am not interested in using Round Up to kill the whole yard first before replanting, as I am trying to go for the more organic and family friendly approach. I also want to avoid tilling the whole yard, as there is lots of stuff to damage clearly buried right under the surface. One option I may use is to selectively apply Weed B Gone in the worst areas a few weeks before the project.

Not looking for perfection, just to add some good fertile soil to the yard, level out the bumps, and reduce the number of weeds. Thoughts/ideas? Recommendations on good blends of Kentucky Bluegrass? I am in Leslie, Michigan. Zone 5b.

Comments (7)