SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
clementinecrabapple

need help asap to save branch broken off crabapple

My beloved crabapple tree, Clemetine, had a branch that was my FAVORITE branch - it curved so beautifully downward toward my flowers and I've loved and admired this branch since I planted Clementine. A BEAR came one night last week and tried to get Clementine's crabapples (she had a lot of them) and BROKE MY FAVORITE BEAUTIFUL BRANCH! :`(~~~~

I am HEARTBROKEN...my poor Clementine! So I took the branch to a friend's small greenhouse to protect it from the cold a bit (no heat but shelter at least) and put it in water, hoping to be able to root it...or better yet, reattach it. Since putting the branch in the greenhouse, we got snow and the water the branch is in froze. Tomorrow is the only day my friend is available to drive me out to where the greenhouse is to do something with this branch - so I NEED HELP ASAP! I have no idea what to do to save this branch!!! :`(~~~ It's several feet long (5'? 6'? hard to envision how long exactly but fairly long) and I'm not sure how thick since it's not here with me, but maybe about 1.5-2"? diameter or so at the point where it attached to the tree. It left a fair sized wound on the trunk (the branch was attached somewhat of a "V" to the trunk, which I understand is not the best formation for fruit tree branches but it curved up and over so beautifully) when it was ripped off. I know this is not what most people would do, but I really really want to save this branch - I LOVE it so much! :`(~~~

It's slightly warmer out today/tomorrow than it has been the past few days but still cold...and soon we will get more snow that will last for months (it will also get -40 degrees in winter and worse)

Is there a way that I can re-attach it? Can I root the whole branch? Could I bring the whole branch indoors for the winter and root it somehow? (then it could become a second tree and I'd still have that beautiful curving branch). I know people usually root small cuttings not entire big branches but I love this branch and want to root the whole branch if I can. Is there a way that I could put rooting powder on it, plant it outside and maybe put straw around it for insulation or something - is something I can do so that it will survive the winter outside? Would it be better to bring it indoors over the winter? Would it survive if I try to root the whole branch indoors over winter and plant it outside in spring when it has roots? PLEASE TREE EXPERTS - I NEED YOUR HELP! :`(~~~

I know this is not the usual thing to do but if there is any way this is possible, I really really want to save my favorite branch. I love it so much...please help! I have to do something asap as tomorrow my friend can help me, and also because it's cold outside and soon there will be more snow and even colder (there's a chance we might get a short warmer period, but by the end of the month we could get snow that stays for the winter). PLEASE HELP me save Clementine's beautiful branch!

Thanks to anyone who cares and takes the time to reply

Comments (7)