SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bermudaman_2010

Bermuda Seed - Will it grow?

bermudaman_2010
14 years ago

Hello everyone,

I live in Texas, actually the DFW area and I just planted my backyard with turf builder bermudagrass seed...Let me explain my steps and please can the professionals step in and help with tips and advice...

I have a huge backyard; I know the sod company said it would take 22 pallets of sod to cover it. It was and has been a weed yard for the past 3 years, and I just kept it mowed so it wouldnÂt look so bad but unusable as a yard. I couldnÂt afford to put sod so I thought I would try to plant seed. I borrowed a tractor and a rototiller...a 5 ft'er and tilled the entire backyard...I have some sandy loam mix but mostly just black dirt...After it was tilled fairly loose (some chunks but mostly size of your fist) I used broadcast spreader and walked one direction and back another to cover with seed...I then hand raked as much as I could but the dirt was hardening in some areas..I did this Friday the 30th and have been watering the yard (dirt) twice a day...

With it being a huge yard and not having a sprinkler system I have had to use regular sprinklers and have been moving them around and trancing thru the muddy muck that is my back yard..

Am I going to grow?? Did I miss anything important? I bought the Scotts starter fertilizer but havenÂt put it down yet. Should I expect to see any signs of life by the end of this week?

Thanks and sorry for the long post but you guys need to know what has been done to this point.

A side note: I can actually see seed on the top of the ground in some areas even after i raked..should i cover it with more dirt?

Comments (27)