SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
1toms

Thank You for all the advice on Bermuda

1toms
11 years ago

Thanks to texas-weed, dchall , okc dan, and many others for the Bermuda Bible and your advice and questions concerning bermuda grass. I used to cut my bermuda grass at atleast 2 -3 inches hi , thinking it was the only way to keep it green and healthy.

This year I came upon this forum and read all I could on the subject. This year I dug out by hand any crabgrass I could find and started cutting as low as I could with my rotary ( which is about 1.75". ) I began cutting every other day and following the BB as close as possible for watering and fertilizing. I can't tell you how impressed I am and it's only the end of May. The lawn is getting thicker and thicker and staying green even at a height that I could never maintain previously. So now I am beginning to work on leveling areas a little and I have just acquired a push reel mower this weekend. I also found some fertilizer that is natural based to use through out the summer. Thanks for all the information ! and here are some pictures of my progress which don't even do justice to how well it looks in person, thanks again for the expert advice !!

Here is a strip near the street

{{gwi:93869}}

And here is how well it has filled in so far

{{gwi:93872}}

Here is an area that was hacked up pretty good after removing crabgrass and it gets some shade from a tree that is coming down next week

{{gwi:93873}}

It's getting much better already

{{gwi:93875}}

Here are some that look great so far and the picture doesn't really show how thick it is

{{gwi:93876}}

{{gwi:93877}}

and just for fun

{{gwi:93878}}

I still need alot of leveling, and can't wait to get a couple weeks of using the reel mower, but I am blown away so far !

Just like you guys said, the bermuda is getting thicker, growing vertically, and crowding out the few weeds that I didn't get by hand, and most importantly, even at lower height than I ever dared to go, it is greener.

For reference, I am northeast of Atlanta and pretty sure the builder put the 419 sod that has been mentioned here is common for the area builders to use. In some areas a few years ago , I did find some Princess seed and threw it down and think there are a few areas that it has taken. The blades are a bit thicker/coarser than the majority of the yard( does that sound right ?) or could it be something more like a common bermuda in those areas ?

Anyway thanks for all the advice on this forum ! Have a good summer all !

Comments (10)