SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
northwoodswis4

alternatives to bagging

northwoodswis4
12 years ago

My response to the previous thread was rejected, so I am starting a new thread.

In the past I have seen molds with faces, etc., on them to put over squash so they would grow in that shape. I don't know if they still sell them; I haven't seen them advertised lately. Maybe someone could market something similar to make apples with faces! You could make them plastic clamshell fashion, so they would just snap in place.

Another more sane idea might just be normal apples protected by clamshell-type containers that one could snap in place, similar to what blueberries or cherries are sold in. They would cost more than ziplocks, but could be reusable. Maybe someone could come up with a healthier material than plastic for them. I had once thought of something like a hinged screen of metal that clamped easily over the apple, sort of like two small sieves attached with a hinge and fastener. If you made it of aluminum it would be light and durable, though not cheap. Maybe you could stamp two hemispheres out of window screen, add a couple hoops at the edges to stiffen them or else crimp the edges and add a hinge between and a clasp. You might even be able to skip the hinge and just have two attached hemispheres which fold in the center. If anyone decides to manufacture such a device, let me know, as I might buy some. Northwoodswis

Comments (16)