SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
topperdude_gw

Help with Lawn issues

topperdude
15 years ago

Hi,

Would appreciate help figuring out the issue with the lawn in our backyard. The lawn is less than 2 years old (we moved into the house when it was brand new in Oct 06 and the sod was laid about a week prior to that). Its made up of a mix of Kentucky Blue Grass and some other grasses to help with Minnesota winters. I have (tried to) attach some pictures below.

If it helps, the house is east-west facing so this part of our backyard is east facing and gets direct sunlight in the morning and almost throughout the day. The grass in the front of the house is a lot better and does not have this problem.

Anyways, so over the past year or so we have been noticing this area in the backyard develop patches like those shown in the figure. It started with a smaller area and seems to spread to other areas of the backyard over time (typical signs of grubs?). After reading through this forum, I lifted up the sod in a few spots to look for grubs and sod webworm feeding on the roots but didnt find any insects underneath, let alone grubs.

I have since applied Scotts with Halts fertilizer. So am not sure if I can do any more raking/lifting the sod to look underneath since the instructions for this fertilizer says to wait for several weeks before raking the soil so as to avoid breaking the barrier it creates?

Some other suggestions have been the clay in the soil which when compacts makes it harder for the grass to grow.

Would appreciate any guidance so that I can figure out what is causing this problem and how I can fix it.

Thanks,

Topper

{{gwi:91681}}

{{gwi:91682}}

Comments (3)