SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
oldog_gw

@##%%*&%# Creeping Bentgrass

oldog
15 years ago

I live in Missouri, just west of St. Louis. As you all know this is a bad area for lawns due to our hot humid summers. Anyway, my lawn consists of a mix of bluegrass and several varieties of turftype fescues. The last several years I have been fighting a species of grass that is absolutely ruining my lawn. The color and the texture makes it stand out like a sore thumb. I have spent hours on the internet trying to identify it and have come to the conclusion that it is Creeping Bentgrass, a conclusion that was pretty much confirmed the other day when I was watching my favorite tv show, "Ask This Old House". Roger Cook, the landscaping guy was interviewing a lady about turfgrass and she had actual pots of grass for illustration purposes. When they got on the subject of "undesirables", she picked up a pot of grass that Roger immediately identified as Creeping Bent and stated that in most any lawn it would be considered a weed. The stuff she had looked just like what I have in my yard.

So, how do I get rid of it? I am formulating a plan that involves waiting until the middle of Aug. and using a non-selective herbicide, ie Roundup, to kill it, give it a few weeks to die out which would put me into early Sept., which is the best time for recondioning a lawn in this part of the country. Then I will power-rake and reseed. Any better ideas for dealing with this stuff?

Comments (26)