SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
glenn_russell_gw

Raspberry Crown Borer or Yellow Jacket

glenn_russell
14 years ago

Hi Everyone-

I posted a thread last year wondering if what I had always assumed were yellow jackets were really Raspberry Crown Borers. This because RCB is a dead ringer for a yellow jacket... and well, they're on my raspberries. You can see that original thread here. (I thought I had added a new post to it, but apparently it was off the bottom of the queue, so it never appeared.)

It's now that time of year where the critters show up on my raspberries. I saw the first one yesterday, and got a pic of one today. Having been stung many times as a kid, and being allergic (crazy swelling), they sure make me jump when I first see one as I'm reaching in to grab a berry. It sure looks like a yellow jacket, but a RCB sure looks like a yellow jacket. Can anyone tell by looking at the picture below? Perhaps I should just harass it and then I'd have my answer?

If not by looks, perhaps by deed? The weather has been cool the last few days and nights and this is when I start to see them. They are eating and ruining quite a few berries. They seem to prefer ones that are slightly overripe. They somehow eat most of the druplet, but seem to leave the seed behind somehow. For me, they're tending to focus more on my KiwiGold's/Caroline's/Heritage's, but not Joan J's, Prelude's, or Polana's.

I've been studying on Google, and it's looking like RCB does it's damage inside the cane, but I haven't seen anything about them eating the actual berries. And, we all know that yellowjackets love sweet things. So, maybe these are just common yellow jackets and I should put out some sugar traps?

Any other thoughts?

-Glenn

{{gwi:124451}}

Comments (5)