SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lilacs_of_may

frozen peaches question again, attempt 2

lilacs_of_may
15 years ago

I'm not allowed to post a follow-up to my original topic. I tried over two dozen times, and all I got was an error message: MESSAGE REJECTED!

So here is the post that I've been trying to upload for the last couple of hours.

"The way I prepared them last year is after scalding, skinning, slicing, etc., I dumped them into a lemon juice/honey/water bath and let them soak for a couple minutes. Then I put them in freezer baggies and froze them immediately. According to what I'd read, that should have done the job. I'm not sure why it didn't.

I found this very useful link to freezing peaches. I plan to follow it this year. It said that frozen peaches should keep up to 12 months. It also said that any peaches not quite ripe will never ripen once they're separated from the tree. (Damn squirrels!) A lot of the peaches I rescued last year were still green tinged and I let them ripen on the kitchen counter.

I am really learning by trial and error! This is a trial, and I've made a lot of errors!

Still wondering the best thing to do with my peaches from last year. If I let them thaw in a fruit juice/Fruit Fresh/sugar/and or lemon juice solution, or some combination, will that keep them from going brown, or is it too late?

I was thinking of making smoothies out of the frozen peaches.

Eventually, I'll probably get into canning, but it requires buying equipment and a learning curve. Right now I've got a huge, refrigerator sized freezer in the garage."

Here is a link that might be useful: Freezing peaches

Comments (3)