SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
robster_gw

Toro Personal pace grinding noise solved.

robster
17 years ago

I have the 20017 model for about 2 years. I mow with it a lot as I have tall thick Fescue. I really like the personal pace system. A couple months ago it started to grind when engaging from a stop, but while rolling made no noise. I went to Toros website and looked up my mower parts to see a pic of the transmission. I found that under the left wheel drive gear there is a tiny spring with a half moon shaped key there that engages the drive gear. I took off the wheel and there is a circlip and a washer to take out, then slide the drive gear off (remember which direction it faced). In the drive shaft the half moon shaped piece sits on top of a tiny spring. This is where my problem was. That spring was so full of dirt and grease it would not work properly. I took brake parts cleaner(carb cleaner works too) and cleaned the shaft where the spring goes, and every thing I took off. I used a thin tweezer to get the spring out and once clean put everything back with a thin lithium grease used sparingly and gave it a test run. Works like new again!

Oh the round part of the half moon piece pushes against the spring. Dont worry these parts wont come flying out when you take it apart. This will be part of my winter maintenance on this machine. Oh the Atomic blade on these is a thinner version of the Gator blade so it cuts well when sharp. I will try a Gator on here as it is thicker and made of better steel than the Atomic blades. This may not solve everyones personal pace noises but it costs zip to try.

Hope that helps.

Rob

Comments (4)