SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
stalkker66

toro 20332 belt noise / slap

stalkker66
13 years ago

hey guys, bought a toro 20332 from Home depot. used about 4 times and when i go to mulching i get a loud rattling sound from below the deck. i thought it was the belt too loose but there is no adjustment. is the blet slapping around under the deck? if so how do you stop this? the mower works ok but is very loud noise and sounds like something is loose or broke. any help would be great.

thanks,

jeff

Comments (5)

• 1saxman
    13 years ago

A little belt slap when engaging the drive would be expected but not all the time. Is it Personal Pace or Variable Speed?

• stalkker66
    Original Author
    13 years ago

it is the personal pace. i am getting the belt slap the whole time during mulching. is there some sort of belt guide hook of some kind to keep it on track?

• roadbike
    13 years ago

If it is really a rattling sound then I think it is something other than belt slap. I'm not familiar with your mower, but on other RWD Toro mowers there is a plastic cover over the belt drive. Remove that and see if you can see what is rattling.

• buckeyebob
    13 years ago

There are some screws on the top of the deck that when removed allow the plastic belt cover to be removed from the bottom but I think all you'll see when you do that is a loose belt. When you're mowing, the personal pace lever pulls a cable that pulls a spring that tightens the belt. The faster you walk, the more tension on the cable, the spring and the belt. The rattling you hear is likely the belt or the gearbox. Mine does the same thing but it works like a charm. The attached link may be helpful. It's not quite the same model but should give you some insight.

Here is a link that might be useful: Toro Belt Replacement

• 1saxman
    13 years ago

That's a cool link - thanks from me too.