SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dullchain

Toro Personal Pace System Not Good For All Situations

dullchain
17 years ago

Got a Toro 20057 and mowed twice with it now. I have a pretty "technical" yard to mow, curves, bushes, a wall and a ditch to contend with. The Personal Pace system is NOT conducive to easy use on this type of yard. Plain and simple, you will not be happy with it in this situation UNLESS you get the 20057 model (more on why later). It is a pain to disengage the system so you can pull it backward. When turning as you come up on a wall or other object that limits your getting behind the mower to push the PP bar it is very awkward. Situations where you need to push and pull several times as in working up under and around a round bush will really tick you off. If your yard is free of obstructions and you simply are traveling back and forth it seems like it would be great and would suit the bill nicely.

HOWEVER, on the 20057 model there is an additional handle (traction assist handle) that you can squeeze with either hand that controls the drive system. With this handle you can more easily make tight turns and I actually find it much more comfortable to use than having to lean into or push with my upper body the PP bar. Why this is not on all models I do not know. My dealer plans to install the device on the Toro that his wife uses he finds it so beneficial. The only problem is you have to be careful activating it because the mower will take off so fast it does a "wheely" picking the front wheels up off the ground. This handle significantly aids in making turns, allows you to walk beside the mower when necessary and assists in the initial forward motion making it easier to get going. I like it. This system does not solve the issue of the drive not disengaging all the time so you can pull it backward. Hopefully I will get better at this but it is a real pain. For $600 I don't think you should have to contend with such an issue.

I bag most of my yard. The vacuum or suction seems to be a little weak, has anyone else noticed this? Just curious.

Comments (28)