SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lincann

1 billion dandelions !

lincann
11 years ago

My daughter just closed on her first house in a 5 year old neighborhood with beautiful homes and lush, deep green lawns. She warned me that the previous owner had done nothing with the yard and that it was just a weed patch, but nothing could have prepared me for what I saw !

In the entire 1/4 acre corner lot, there is not one blade of grass ~ only dandelions covering every square inch of dirt. They are so dense, the clumps are overlapping one another ~ I'm surprised they haven't choked themselves out. This is NO exaggeration, I promise you.

I rather imagine the previous owner (he traveled), would scalp his yard so he didn't have to cut as often, bagged the cutting and never watered. A lesson to all of what NOT to do !

I think she will have no choice but to start with a couple of rounds of broadleaf weed killer (no RU due to joining yards). But what to use ??? The reviews on brand names are so confusing. Some people swear they worked ~ others say they are a waste of time and money and actually seemed to encourage growth ~ yikes ! Not sure why this is.

I have suggested that she:
1. Get a soil sample done
2. Concentrate on killing the weeds ~ suggestions please ~ over spring and early summer.
3. Apply 2-3 applications of compost, alfalfa or soybean meal over summer to encourage some life back into the soil.
4. Have lawn company powerseed in late August.
5. For the coming years, develop the habit of mulch- mowing on high, watering deeply once a week and feeding 'the herd' with alfalfa or soybean meal and applying corn gluten meal in early spring for 'feeding' as well as for it's pre-emergent properties.

So, you see the goal . . . but until there is a good stand of grass, how can she best eradicate 1 billion dandelions ??? thanks guys !

Comments (4)

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading Kitchen & Bath Remodelers in Franklin County, OH