SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
angelnstuff

Ficus care?

16 years ago

I just received 2 large Ficus (benjamina?) plants from a neighbor that was moving, 4 feet and theyre in 10 inch pots. I also have a smaller one that IÂve had for about 2 years and havenÂt really done anything with other than water.. They are all a bit wild looking, I'd like some information about how and when to trim them, also any other tips you might have.. IÂve never been very good with plants before, I think the ficus IÂve had for 2 years is the longest IÂve ever kept a plant alive.. Also I think the larger 2 might need to be repotted.. is there a certain kind of potting soil or something I should buy?

About a month or so back I trimmed a few branches off the small one and put them in a glass of water just to see if they would do anything.. It looks like they have some nice roots now.. When and how should I plant them? Is a smaller planter better? or should I plant them in the size container IÂd like them to one day fill so that I donÂt have to repot them in the future? Or is it better to repot them with fresh soil every so often? Should I trim them before planting them?

Also, IÂve been told ficus cuttings are good for bonsai plants.. Is this true? Any General bonsai information would be great.

IÂm kind of new to this site, and a bit lost, so if IÂm not posting this in the right place or something, IÂm sorry!

Comments (6)