SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
purpleinopp

Fresh air gets no credit, it's always humidity

Professional indoor grow operations always have fans blowing to keep air moving, circulated. Such a structure isn't hard to keep humid because the huge amount of foliage and moist soil provide plenty of that. I've never tried to artificially provide humidity (terrariums notwithstanding) but have been running a ceiling fan on low the past few winters while plants are inside. I don't have any science-ish links to point to, but by gut instinct it makes sense to me. There's also the somewhat selfish thought that if these plants are producing oxygen, I want it flowing around me as much as possible.

A huge part of the difference between being outside vs. inside is wind blowing most of the time (except on the hottest of days it seems, right? LOL!) I don't even think it's possible for air to be completely still outside, even if we can't feel enough movement to provide any relief.

The furnace coming on will definitely move the air around, but if it's not necessary for it to come on often, or if one doesn't use a central blowing system, indoor air can really stagnate. Ever get lost in thought looking at dust motes in a shaft of light on a sunny morning or afternoon? There's tiny particles of stuff just hanging there, hardly moving.

There's the gentle drying effect that moving air has on soil/leaves to consider, and one could also wonder if the humidity of a large collection of indoor plants is best 'on the move' or stagnating around grouped plants. IDK.

So I guess I think it makes a positive difference worth the $3 or whatever it costs to run a ceiling fan on low for a month. I think that figure's probably pretty generous. But anyway, what are your thoughts on air movement? Do you think humidity has undeservedly stolen the 'advice show?'

Were you just fine NOT thinking about it and now feel burdened? Do you think I should use more free time fixing more interesting dinners than typing crud like this? Say that stuff too if you want, it's probably true.

Comments (16)