SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jrodriguez90

How long before seeding do I aerate?

jrodriguez90
14 years ago

I'm planning to seed my relatively shady backyard in the fall, probably over labor-day weekend. So I've got some time to plan and figure things out. Here's the lowdown on my property. Moved in late last fall/early winter. The house had been unoccupied for 5 months prior and there were leaves all over the backyard (hence the relative shade). My awesome neighbors helped me rake them up, but to my dismay I found that 2/3 of the yard was straight up dirt - all the grass had been killed. And the other 1/3 was super patchy. Come to find out from the neighbors that the previous owner didn't do much raking the year before either, which likely didn't help the situation.

What's relatively nice is that I have somewhat of a blank slate to work from. There is a fence in the back and trees along the fence-line so I'm not going to bother trying to get grass there - I'm planning to do a mulch bed with some nice small shade plants. The rest of the yard however I want to plant grass. I'm going to do a 60/40 blend of fine fescues and shade tolerant kbg (other than by the fence-line the yard gets about 4 hours of sun).

My plan is to condition the soil before seeding by adding a thin layer of compost, manually leveling some of the highspots, and renting a core aerator. I've also added lime since I have acidic soil.

My main question is whether what order I should do those tasks and when should I do them? I've already added lime and will add more closer to the seeding time if the soil is still acidic.

I can probably only afford (i.e. my wife will only let me spend the money once) to add compost once. Should I do it now or add it at the time I seed?

And what about aerating? How long does that benefit last for? Am I better off doing it now, doing it day of seeding, or something in between.

Any other tips or advice would be greatly appreciated as well. Thanks!

Comments (8)