SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
fourstringdrums

Pink Snow Mold - Need Advice

fourstringdrums
16 years ago

I apologize for asking this again, but the last thread I mentioned it in got one actual reply before someone else hijacked it with their own question and then it got buried. So I'm trying again :)

Around the tree in my front yard I have what I believe is a pink snow mold problem. Mostly what I have are patches are tan grass blades that to me have a pinkish hue, and have withered down and thinned out a bit exposing some soil. In one spot though, the patches blended together to make one large section. The patches are something I noticed around January after only a few weeks over snow cover once we had a brief warm up and everything started to melt. But the snow didn't melt enough so I could do anything about the whole area. Then we got killed with snow this year and it just made the problem worse. I know that pink snow mold happens after 60 days of snow cover but I saw it after only a few weeks so I just wonder if it is pink snow mold at all.

I'm unsure if the grass is dead and I need to reseed or if it will just take a while and it should come back, at least enough to tide me over for the year. The grass blades seem to pull out of the ground fairly easily, but I don't know if it's just because they're weak right now.

My plan is to next week when I do my cleanup, apply my pre-emergent to my property except this area and then wait until May to see if it improves. If it does, then I'll put the pre-emergent down here. It will be late, but necessary if I want to try and reseed. If it doesn't look like it's improving my plan was to just scratch up the soil with a rake, spread some seed, use the rake to get better soil contact, and then fertilize my whole property (which I'd have to do anyway).

So what are the chances that the grass is dead from the pink snow mold and how does my reseeding process sound if I have to do it? I know it's best to wait until fall which I will do, but if I can improve it somewhat now, I want to do that.

Thanks!

Comments (17)