SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
randy_e_gw

My run in with the US Fish and Wildlife Service

randy_e
17 years ago

Well here's what happened.. last month I aquired a variegated Tree Cactus off EbaY. I did a little research on it and did find out it is now a protected species down in the Florida Keys due to contruction, etc. I read the discription closely... a cutting was collected 40+ years ago, planted in a womens garden in Ft. Meyers. It produced seed, plants, seed, plants, you get the picture. After 3 or generations of growing these a variegated seedling appeared.

I guess I was wrong... about a week ago I get an e-mail from the FWS saying they would like to discuss the purchase. I at first thought something was fishy but did check my caller ID and noticed that a US government agency did try to call me earlier. I called them back. They told me that since the cactus is endangered and was bought I was violating the law. My options were to forfeit the cactus freely (with proper paperwork of course)with no further problems OR a search warrant would be issued.

Here's the part I can't get over... this catus is 4" tall. I asked what would happen to it. The Special Agent said it would be used for propagation purposes to replenish the population. I told him it didn't make sense being variegated... it's a freak, not normal, the shallow end of the gene pool.

The FWS office that contacted me is located in Miami, I live in Titusville, right across the river from the Kennedy Space Center. I said no problem and where would they like me to send it to. They said that they would drive up on the weekend and pick it up... 4 hours away.

They did. This Sunday afternoon 2 agents drove up to pick up

this cactus. They were polite but one of them asked if it was going to make it. I asked what he meant by that and he said it looked like it was dying due to the bright yellow variegation on half the catus. I then told them it was variegated and perfectly healthy. I asked if they found out they could not use it could I get it back. He said he would get back with me. He did ask if he could get me a permit to grow some of these Key Tree Cactus would I be interested. After all this I said that if it wasn't variegated I wasn't interested.

If you are curious to the violation for which they seized my plant it was the Endangered Species Act, 16 USC 1538.

Well enough venting.

Randy (the Plant Man of Alcatraz)

Comments (23)