SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mikejtl

Buffalo UC Verde - do I need a sprinkler system

mikejtl
14 years ago

I live in Los Angeles (USDA zone 10) and we are redoing our back yard. The previous owner had roses throughout the yard, about 40' x 60'. We've moved the roses to the perimeter, and are planning a lawn that will be more toddler friendly that thorny rose bushes.

I just learned about Buffalo UC Verde which seems like the ideal grass for our yard. We're in LA, the yard gets zero shade, there is a hill to the West of us, so it gets sun from sunrise until about 2 maybe 3 hours before sunset.

There is currently no irrigation back there, and after reading about this grass I'm wondering if I need to bother with the expense, time, and energy of installing one. I've read that this lawn only needs water during the hot summer months, and then only ever 4-6 weeks. Even if that is optimistic, if I'm only going to water it a dozen times a year (which would be a dream), then maybe just a new garden hose and quality fan sprinkler like the ones we ran through in our underwear when we were kids is all we need.

I'd love to hear people's thoughts / experiences on this.

BTW, I'm planning to do the front yard in all native/naturals, so I don't plan to do an irrigation there, (thats down the road once the back yard is sorted, but thats the plan for the front.) Also, I do know that I need to water a bunch when the grass is first planted in order get the roots to take and everything to fill in, but I assume i get away with above ground sprinklers for that too?

Thanks in advance.

Comments (4)